In many courses throughout the IT program you get the chance to work on state-of-the-art hardware in order to develop your practical skills. You will have the freedom to deploy web servers, databases, etc. as part of assignments or projects. With great freedom comes great responsibility so you must follow the rules below.
- Do not abuse the equipment under any circumstances. Use the equipment as if it were your own.
- Do not use more resources than you need. While the jails provide isolation, resources still have to be shared so do not use more CPU, memory, and disk space than required.
- Keep your software updated. Vulnerabilities are found in software on a daily basis and if you do not update the programs you have installed you will be a target. Please run ‘pkg update’ and ‘pkg upgrade’ periodically.
- Learn to read documentation. There are three main sources of documentation: (1) this site, (2) the FreeBSD Handbook, and (3) man pages.
- In case of any issues contact the sysadmin. At the moment, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org