In this course, students will learn how to administer a server. This ranges from installing an operating system, remotely installing software packages through a package manager, configuring the system, managing security and encryption, backups, to shell scripting. A big component of this course is lab work.
Credits: 3, prerequisites: CMPS 162.
- Install an operating system.
- Remotely install software on an operating system.
- Configure and run the installed programs.
- Install security patches.
- Perform maintenance remotely.
- Learn to write simple shell scripts for automating common tasks.
- Server installation
- Server configuration
- Remote management
- Practical security and encryption
- Shell scripting