CMPS 161: Networking and Security
Security is one of the most important aspects of networking. We have already seen several examples, such as wireless network security, IPsec, and DNSSEC. The reason that a discussion about security has been largely postponed to this last module is that a deep understanding of networking is essential to effectively apply security measures. We will see how attackers can gain control of a network, how services can be brought down with (distributed) Denial of Service (DoS) attacks, and what can be done to mitigate these threats. Finally, we will look at Virtual Private Networks that can be used to securely connect networks over the internet.
- Examine how and attacker gains control of a network
- Understand how denial of service attacks are initiated
- Examine the security software and hardware used to protect the network
- Understand the VPN technologies
- Module 13 Readings: Chapter 12
- Module 13 Slides: Chapter 12
- Module 13 Quiz: Chapter 12
- Module 13 Assignment: Certification questions from the end of the chapter
For Further Study
It is highly recommended to work through the exercises at the end of the chapter.