CMPS 161: Networking and Security
In the previous module we looked at one way signals could be transmitted, namely cables. In this module, we will look at an alternative; electromagnetic waves (specifically micro and radio). There are many standards that define wireless networks, grouped in the 802.11 wireless LAN standard, and we will look at them. In addition, we will look at how both cabled and wireless networks can be used to interconnect LANs. Specifically, we will look at devices that connect networks such as routers and switches.
- Define the features of the 802.11 wireless LAN standard
- Understand the components of the wireless LAN
- Explore how wireless LANs are configured
- Examine how site surveys are done for wireless LANs
- Investigate the issues of securing a wireless LAN
- Explore how to configure a point-to-multipoint wireless LAN
- Module 4 Readings: Chapter 4
- Module 4 Slides: Chapter 4
- Module 4 Quiz: Chapter 4
- Module 4 Assignment: Critical Thinking questions from the end of the chapter
- Learn to use SFTP with FileZilla
For Further Study
It is highly recommended to work through the exercises at the end of the chapter.